Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Filigree Initial, backward setting...

Some history… many years ago in my first Computer Science class (I'm a retired Software Engineer now) I did my homework as instructed, and far exceeded my instructor's expectations… then he discovered I had approached the problem exactly backward of how he'd expected, resulting in a 5x improvement in computation time needed… for being so creative & doing so well he gave me the nickname "Bat-Ding" (yep, backwards for Ding-Bat)…


This piece is similar… I wanted to place a filigree initial of "A" over the top of a dark green stone, and I did it by creating the "A" with prongs that wrapped around the back of the stone…


My instructor tells me he's never had anyone try this before…


The results aren't perfect (what is?) but I like it, and if I ever do something like this again I've learned how not to do it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment